Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Probability of God

I love numbers. I love numbers since my school year for the simple reason that I only need to understood the concept to make them dance for me. That's a much much better option than trying to remember 36 'butir' Pancasila (God, was I the only one having such a miserable time trying to memorize it? Do they still teach that at school nowadays? Did that make the corrupted policemen and politician think twice before they did the evil?).

Anyway, I used to be very good at Math. Used to. Until calculator and computer corrupted my already slow brain. Now I'm struggling to multiply 2 digit numbers in my head. But my love for numbers never die. The beauty of how they can simplify life still amaze me sometime. But I would never imagine that numbers can be used to answer THE mankind question of the centuries "Does God exist?"

Which was the reason why I bought this book by Stephen D. Uwin, The Probability of God: A Simple Calculation That Proves The Ultimate Truth. He's trying to use the lingua franca to solve the eternal debate between the Believer and Non-Believer. Now I'm a sceptic by birth. And I don't think that a book that fall under category of 'religion' AND 'humor' can be THAT enlightenment. But I love the idea of someone being brave enough to marry 'faith' and 'science' so I give it the benefit of a doubt and decide to give it a try.

I just finished chapter one and I have to admit that I enjoyed his light humorous way in describing something that suppose to be serious. Let see what I feel after finish reading it. Anyone want to accompany me reading the book?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home